The club rides takes place on Saturday mornings departing at 8:00 am from Berkhamsted Cricket Club in summer following a ride briefing at 7:45. Winter months they start Tesco car park.
Routes are notified by email and social media during the week and are selected from the club route library in Ride with GPS. Please download routes – at least two riders per group should have the route.
New riders are welcome to do a trial ride. Just make yourself known to the Ride Co-ordinator so we can look after you and make sure you go out in the correct Ride Group. If the weather conditions are forecast below 2C or high winds/heavy rain, please email the rider coordinator in advance.
Groups are (roughly) based on average speed (mph) and distance.
- 12-14s – 20-25 miles
- 14-15s – 25-30 miles
- 15-16s – 30+ miles
- 16-17s – 35+ miles
- 17 -19s – 40+ miles (7:30 depart)
- “17 -19” long ride ~50 miles at 16-17 pace (departs at 7:30am from Berkhamsted Tesco car park)
(Whilst the speeds may seem conservative, the Chilterns is/are hilly!)
The aim is to complete the ride in around 2 hours and meet back at the Cricket Club for coffee, cake and a chat. In winter months, we use The Meating Room in Berkhamsted High Street.
- Club notices from the committee.
- Route briefings – hazards
- Riders divide into groups. Ride leaders are allocated to some groups
- Groups depart in order starting with the fastest speed group.
Which group? – choosing the right group to start with can be challenge – have a chat with the Ride Co-ordinator who will help. Starting conservatively and moving up is recommended.